I am officially in the holiday spirit. And with just two weeks left until Christmas Day, I want to do everything I can to savor the best parts of the season.
Yesterday I lit a Christmas-tree scented candle and watched a marathon of Christmas movies including Four Christmases, Christmas Shoes and Elf (well, I tried to watch Elf but then my dvd player broke.. fail).
Today I have a Christmas playlist going on Spotify and I have no intentions of turning it off until AFTER the 25th. Or maybe in January… I really love the holidays.
I also painted my nails a fun gold sparkle. It’s amazing how much a little nail polish can get you in the holiday mood. I want to play with other holiday nail ideas and found some great inspiration over on Refinery 29. I LOVE the candy cane/mint idea. But we’ll see if my skill level coincides with the results of the picture.
How do you get in the holiday spirit?
Okay, clearly Easter is celebrated for religious reasons, but let’s be real ,there are a lot of other reasons to enjoy this holiday. Here’s my list:
- Mashed Potatoes – perhaps the biggest reason to enjoy the day, I know Easter is truly here when I’ve reached my third helping of delicious, buttery mashed potatoes. In fact, I’ve been labeled the Mashed Potato Queen, and I wear that title with honor.
- Cadbury Eggs – The original cream kind. The others are good but for true Easter fun you need to get the original. none of the minis, none of hte caramel or chocolate filled eggs.. just the cream. And you need to develop a method of eating them. I prefer to store mine in the refrigerator, get it to a nice cold temperature, then start at the top and work my way down.
- The Smell of Spring – although the forecast here is rain and chilly temps, Easter usually means consistent spring weather is right around the corner. I love when you can smell the damp ground as it softens and begins to sprout flowers and fresh grass.
- Easter Egg Hunts – sure, we’ve outgrown them now but remember how fun they were when you were younger? My grandma used to write out hints about where we should begin our search.
- Giant Chocolate Bunnies – I have won two three-feet tall solid chocolate bunnies in my lifetime, and that’s quite an accomplishment. Sure, one was a default prize when they ran out of all the others and yeah, the other was from a randomly-selected coloring contest winner, but still. They were delicious. Although I really wouldn’t know, because I tend to hoard my chocolate and they both ended up living in my neighbor’s giant freezer because I didn’t want them to go bad. But it’s a solid chocolate giant bunny.. I can only assume it’s delicious.
Those are my non-religious reasons for loving Easter. What are yours?
This nail polish by OPI is perfect for holiday parties: OPI Bring on the Bling
It’s weird that as I get older my holiday priorities change. Instead of worrying about what gift I’ll get or if there will be enough snow outside and presents under the tree, I get more happiness out of the little things. Here are some of the things bringing me joy this holiday season, what about you?
(image via http://sweetannieskitchenblog.wordpress.com/)
- holiday flavored coffee, creamers and lattes (Starbucks peppermint mocha to be exact)
- sugar cookie scented candle
- cozy winter sweaters and scarves
- 24-hour Christmas music radio stations
- red and green hershey kisses
- Christmas lights
- baked goods
- egg nog
- Macy’s Thanksgiving Day parade
- holiday parties
- decorated retail stores and city streets
- TV show Christmas episodes (Glee, How I Met Your Mother!)
- holiday volunteering (toy drives, food drives, adopt a family…)
- Christmas cards
… and so much more. Happy Holidays!