my favorite way to start the morning, coffee, Google Reader and sunshine on the deck.
Check out the heat index for the next couple of days in NYC, ‘gonna be a hot one!
Fortunately, my office is air conditioned, otherwise you’d find me doing one or all of the following….
- making homemade popsicles (preferably made with wine)
- going inside stores pretending like I’ll actually buy something but really just using them for their AC because let’s be real, with NYC rent there’s no room for me to buy that stuff.
- carrying around a roll of paper towels so I can wipe off all the sweat I leave every time I sit down, lean against, lie on etc.
- groaning over the extra effort required to go to the freezer, take out the ice cube tray, bang it against the counter, and place a few cubes into my drink. More movement = more sweat
- showering at least 3x a day until I decide it’s no longer even worth it at which point I’ll become a sticky un-showered slob
- spending extra time in the frozen food section at the grocery store
- spraying myself excessively with Victoria’s Secret Love Spell to help put off the obvious smell that comes along with deciding not to shower
- befriending people with pools. I’ll find them by phone hacking, that works, right?
How will you stay cool?
I took the plunge and ordered a new bathing suit yesterday from JCrew. They were having a 20 percent off sale on suits, plus free shipping! Unfortunately, thye only had sizes 12 and 14 in my first choice, so I went with this instead. Can’t wait to get some use out of it!
It’s officially May, which means the unofficial start of Summer is just a few weeks away. I’m really into one-piece bathing suits. It seems like they’re everywhere this year and they’ve come up with some gorgeous new cuts, so you can wear a one piece without looking like your mom.
Here are a few of my faves:
Plumeria Vintage Stiched Tank by JCrew I love the cut of this suit. It feels vintage yet trendy and the full fit with the sweetheart cut keeps it sophisticated
Lattice One Piece by Victoria’s Secret I absolutely love the colors on this one. It has a fresh feel and gets it character with both the pattern and the lattice lacing on the back.
Geometric Print Boyshort I think this is adorable. I’m not sure I’d really love all that fabric for the water, but it’s a great style.
Plunge Monokini by Victoria’s Secret I just love the sleek, simple cut of this one.
What will you be wearing this summer?
Okay, not quite. But, I did have a weekend filled with cliche summertime fun.
Friday: Friday night we went to Empire Brewfest in downtown Syracuse. This is by far my favorite festival (for obvious reasons). You pay $39 for a ticket (although the price increases every year.. NOT happy about that!!) and drink 4 oz. samples from dozens of local vendors. My favorite was Middle Ages Raspberry Ale, delicious! We also tried a jalapeno beer. Not sure who makes it but it definitely had a kick to it!
Saturday: We spent Saturday poolside with some hot dogs, macaroni salad and beers. Lots of fun and lots of tanning! At night we went to the drive in about 30 minutes away for some real old-fashioned fun. I forgot how much I love the drive in! We have one in my hometown but I haven’t been in years. The weather, aside from all the mosquitoes, was awesome. We saw Knight and Day with Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz. I hate Tom Cruise, and I heard this movie was terribleee. But honestly, I didn’t mind it. Probably because my expectations were so low. Next we saw Grown Ups with Adam Sandler and the rest of the crew. Unfortunately, this one didn’t meet my expectations. I thought it was hilarious and I loved the cast, but I think I was expecting more out of it. Still a fun summer movie though! (it’ll leave you wanting to go to a water park for sure!)
Sunday: Sunday funday was spent lakeside with the girls. We don’t have beaches in Upstate, NY so the lake is our equivalent. We went jetskiing and tubing and ate wayy too many gummies while reading Cosmo and working on our tans. A great way to end the weekend : )
The fun didn’t stop there! Last night I went bowling with my boyfriend’s cousins and family. We snuck in vodka, mixed it with lemonade, and had an awesome time!
What are your favorite things to do in the summer?
Despite the fact you are a mere 30 minutes away, your arrival could not come fast enough. Coming off a short work-week last week, this week has been exceptionally difficult to get through.
Combine that with the fact that Brew Fest is tonight, and we’ve got a giant need for weekend fun.
So again, hurry up and get here.
Your devoted fan,
p.s. please bring some sunshine with you.. my pale skin is calling out.
Had an awesome long weekend to celebrate the 4th. 90+ temps meant we were either poolside, or lakeside, for 3 days straight. Plus, for some reason, I’m much more okay with eating excessive quantities of food on long weekends than I am on a typical day.
Now, back to reality… when’s the next long weekend??
- Learn how to plant (and not kill) flowers and vegetables.
- Finally replant my somehow ever-growing Spider Plant
- Run or get some form of exercise at least 4 days a week
- try to make one new recipe a week
- stop and smell the flowers – both literally and theoretically
Bring it on summer!!!